. My Little Lily Bud: Thoughtful Thursday: "Bullied 13-year-old SET ON FIRE"?!

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday: "Bullied 13-year-old SET ON FIRE"?!

So, I wasn't sure if I was going to post anything today.  I've been a bit busy with some last-minute things in my class and I came across this article on Yahoo: Bullied 13-Year-Old Set on Fire Changes Thinking.

Um... First of all... With everything lately with children killing themselves and being killed due to bullying, you cannot say that school-yard bullying is the norm.  Bullying is serious no matter how you look at it, so to see this kind of attack on a child... It's BEYOND normal "bullying." It's a freaking assault!  This does not CHANGE my thinking, it confirms it.

Obviously we don't have all of the information in this article, but I feel like we need more of something to keep this at bay.  The "bully" needs a psycho-evaluation, but who is to say this won't happen to another kid? We cannot save them all, but we can try, right?

I feel like it's our jobs as adults (parents, instructors, neighbors, whatever) to protect our younger generations and think we all need to make it very clear to our kids that if they are being bullied to ignore the death threats and tell an adult.  We are not invincible, but we can be heroes to our youngin's if we pay close attention to them, be open, and talk with them.  Let them know they are safe, so when a threat comes at them they have the confidence to get help.

There's my rant.  If you have a response to the article or to what I wrote please don't hesitate to leave a comment.  I know my stance isn't a cure-all.

No comments:

Post a Comment