. My Little Lily Bud: What a summer

Sunday, August 14, 2011

What a summer

I woke up this morning to hear that my little five-year-old step-cousin-in-law (mouthful there) was rushed to the hospital for a dog bite to the throat. The doctors have said she is going to be fine, but they are having to fly her out to Birmingham now for surgery.



Lacey isn't the best with animals. When I say that, she loves messing with them, picking them up, poking them, and whatever we tell her NOT to do with them. She's never malicious, but some animals just can't be prodded constantly. I do not know what the story was at this point, but I have the feeling that Lacey was doing something she shouldn't have been doing with the dog.



I'm not saying that it is all Lacey's fault -- if the dog does not like being disturbed the owners should have kept the dog away from her or something. I don't know the whole story, though, so I won't go too much further into it.



Of course, now things get tricky. I do not know the breed, but I'm pretty sure the dog is now going to have to be put down. If not, I will be amazed. Our Lab, Fudge, accidentally sent a kid to the hospital (He was asleep, the kid jumped on him, scared my dog and he bit his face) and he was put down, so I am uncertain how this will work out. The little girl of the dog owners already dislikes Lacey, so now she will probably blame the death of her dog on Lacey.



I have mixed feelings about it all. I hate that a dog can be put down because of an accident or provocation of a really annoying, pestering child that doesn't listen to a word anyone says. I do also understand how scary it can be to know a dog is capable of doing any kind of damage like that and therefore needs to be either kept on a shorter leash (no pun intended) or put down to move on to another life. I know I would FLIP if my daughter was bitten, but at the same time, depending on the circumstance, I think I could forgive the dog if it was an accident/Lily did something dumb.



Of course, I'm a forgiving person anyway. I don't feel like death is always the answer in these circumstances.



/end rant.



Edit: So I now know that the dog was actually a pit bull, wasn't even really their dog but an in-law's dog, and no one really knows what happened for him to bit her. The dog is in quarantine now and will be put down shortly, if not by Animal Control by the owners. The dog was as big as Lacey.



So, long story short, I don't necessarily think it was Lacey's fault this time around. I love Pit Bulls, but they can be aggressive. Lacey is lucky. Scary thing now is that they don't know if the dog has had his shots...



No comments:

Post a Comment